11 Things to do on 11/11/11
11/11/11 – People all around the world are hoping 11/11/11 will bring them good luck as they plan special things to do on this strange, one-off day. (One-off = It will not happen more than one time). Here are 11 things people are doing on this perfectly palindromic day!
1. 11/11/11 also marks Armistice Day in Britain, also known as Remembrance day or Veterans day in America. A day to remember the men and women who died during the war. In Britain, people wear poppies on their collar and attend a two minute silence (at 11am) to mark their respect for those who fought for our freedom all those years ago.
2. Many couples across the world are planning to get married on 11/11/11. They hope that the Palindromic day will bring them good luck and provide and long and happy marriage. Fingers crossed! (Fingers crossed = Let’s hope they have luck).
3. Pregnant women all over the world are hoping that they will give birth on 11/11/11, bringing good fortune to their babies lives.
4. A scary horror film called 11-11-11 is going to be released today! Why not go to the cinema and be Palindromically-Petrified! Sorry, I invented that!
5. Eat Pepero chocolate sticks! If you put them in a straight line, they look like 11/11/11!
6. Go to the German Karneval Party which starts at 11.11am on 11/11/11!
“In Germany the Karneval season (also known as the fifth season!) officially gets under way at 11.11 am on the 11th day of the 11th month. I suspect that this year there will be an extra kölsch or two drunken to celebrate, as if the Karnevalisten need the excuse.”
7. Have an extra special Birthday party! Many people celebrate their birthday on the 11th of November every year. This year, 2011, should be an extra special palindromic birthday party celebration!
8. Some people are really getting into the swing of things (this means they are enjoying the spirit of the day) are celebrating 11/11/11 by wearing corduroy clothes! Maybe the start of a Palindromic fashion trend!
9. Travel back in time to the year 1111 and celebrate the 11-11-1111! This would be my personal choice, anybody have a time machine?
11. Why not enjoy 11 glasses of Champagne on 11-11-11? There is no better day to see what would happen if you did this and at least you would have an excuse!
What will you be doing on this special day? Tell us on our Barcelona Ingles Facebook page!