You can use could to:
- express a past possibility or ability
- ask for something and make requests
The grammatical structure of ‘could’
Subject + Could + Verb (always the infinitive verb without “to”)
|subject||auxiliary verb||main verb|
- Important: There is only one form of could.
Using ‘Could’ in a Sentence
Using ‘could’ to express past possibility or ability
- I could walk when I was only 2 years old!
- When we arrived at the party, we could not find our friends.
- Could you understand what the waiter was asking us?
Using ‘could’ to make requests
You could use ‘could’ in a question to formally ask someone to do something.
- Could you please tell me where the bakery?
- Could you please send me the recipe?