Win Money? Make Money? or Earn Money? What’s the Difference?
When speaking English, Spanish people often have problems understanding when to use ‘win’, ‘make’ and ‘earn’.
Spanish speakers often confuse win with ganar. We often hear students saying things like: “They win a lot of money” instead of “They make/earn a lot of money”.
- You win money in the lottery.
- You win money playing poker.
- you win money from gambling.
REMEMBER “EARN or MAKE”
- When you go to work, you earn/make money.
- You earn a salary when you work.
- “Lawyers earn a good salary, they make lots of money.”